- eBook Title: Old Yeller
- Author’s Name: Fred Gipson
- Kindle Price: $5.99
- Kindle Kids Corner Reviewer Name: Kathryn S.
- Author’s grade level: 5th
Kathryn’s Review: Old Yeller is an amazing story that teaches true friendship. The fourteen year old Travis has his hands full when his papa goes on a cattle drive and leaves him in charge. Then, an old yellow dog show up,and Travis hates him on sight and wants to shoot him. He thinks he is a thieving rascal. But after Old Yeller saves the always mischievous brother, Little Arliss, from a mama bear, Travis begins to think differently. Travis and Old Yeller form a friendship that will last forever.
I believe everyone should read this book because it teaches a lesson about friendship and loyalty between animals and man. Though some parts may be a little graphic for younger students, everyone should read it. If you like fighting bulls, hunting hogs, and just being in the country, you should read this book. But be careful because, like me, you may cry at the end.
- Educational Value: 4 – You will learn the lessons of true friendship. You will also learn about what kids did for fun in the 1860’s.
- Entertainment Value: 5 – The story is exciting and filled with intense drama, but it also has many funny scenes. The plot will keep your attention.
- Kamryn W says: I would recommend Old Yeller to anyone that loves animals and likes to laugh.
- Morgan A says: I believe anyone who has ever had a dog that he really loved can relate to this story.
- Notes from: Betty Shiver ( Westwood Curriculum Director) This book is timeless and a true American classic. First published 55 years ago, it remains a favorite and one of the books students carry with them into adulthood.
- Device on Which This Book Was Read: paper back
- Date Review Filed: March 22,2011
- Teacher Name: Andrea Stargel